William Shatner: 'Hot Oil &Turkey Can Be A Dangerous Combination'
William Shatner has issued a warning about the dangers of deep-frying turkeys this Thanksgiving after suffering his own serious fowl cooking accident.
The "Star Trek" veteran was preparing the festive meal a few years ago when he lost his grip on the big bird and dropped it into a vat of boiling oil, splattering it on his exposed skin.
And now, as the holiday approaches at the end of November, Shatner has teamed up with officials at insurance company State Farm for a new campaign to caution chefs against making the same mistake.
He says, "Several years ago I was burned on my arms after accidentally dropping the turkey in the hot oil. People need to remember that hot oil and turkey can be a dangerous combination... Ignorance is the friend of accidents. Be enemies with ignorance."