Mindy McCready's representative has fired back at reports the country star has suffered a suspected drug overdose, insisting the singer's mother "overreacted" when she called for emergency services.
The star, who has a history of alcohol and drug abuse, was reportedly found passed out at her mother Gayle's home in Fort Myers, Florida on Tuesday morning. Paramedics were called and McCready was transported to Cape Coral Hospital. Reports suggested she took a muscle relaxant and the painkiller Darvocet.
However, the singer's spokesman, Brent Young, has played down the incident, revealing McCready simply experienced a bad reaction to the pain pills she had been prescribed after breaking her toe on Sunday. Young claims McCready told her mother she was feeling unwell, sparking a panic and causing her mom to call for emergency help.
He tells TMZ.com, "She's totally coherent. She can't believe her mom did this."
McCready's hospitalization comes just days after she won a court judgment to reopen custody proceedings in the hope of being reunited with her four-year-old son Zander. She lost custody of the boy in 2007 after she was jailed for violating probation by allegedly assaulting her mom in a fight over the singer's drinking and drug addictions.