leads an all-star cast in the feature-film adaptation of the beloved musical that has been seen by more than 30 million people in 170 cities and eight languages around the world. Bringing the timeless lyrics and melodies of iconic super group ABBA
to movie audiences, summer 2008 is the season for Mamma Mia!
The star-studded soundtrack is the ultimate souvenir to the movie, set for release on Decca July 8.
The feature film adaptation of the global stage hit production brings the magic of ABBA's music to the silver screen. With rising star Amanda Seyfried
and Dominic Cooper
, alongside Hollywood heavy-hitters Meryl Streep, Pierce Brosnan
, Colin Firth
, Stellan Skasgârd
, Julie Walters
and Christine Baranski
, the film features the stars' versions of 17 ABBA classics in this celebration of a mother, a daughter and three possible dads.
Mixed, mastered and produced by ABBA's musical geniuses Benny Andersson and Björn Ulvaeus, the soundtrack is a must-have collection of these pop gems. Andersson and Ulvaeus reunited in Stockholm with the musicians who played on the original ABBA songs to record the disc in February 2007. It was the first time the musicians had played the songs together since ABBA toured more than 25 years ago. Along with producing the recording, Andersson also played keyboards. He commented, "We didn't have to think about it - it was in the fingers."
The actors joined together for the first time to record their vocals in London in April, 2007, prior to the commencement of principal photography, and continued recording later that summer on location while filming on the beautiful Greek islands. Whether it's Streep, Walters and Baranski making their mark on "Dancing Queen," Brosnan and Streep's upbeat rendition of "SOS," or the energetic song-and-dance numbers such as "Voulez-Vous," the Mamma Mia! soundtrack captures the essence of the originals, while still giving them new and dazzling treatments.
Inspired by the storytelling arcs of ABBA's songs from "Dancing Queen" to "Money, Money, Money" and "Take a Chance on Me," Mamma Mia! is a celebration of mothers and daughters, old friends and new family found.
Tracklisting as follows:
1. Honey, Honey (Amanda Seyfried, Ashley Lilley & Rachel McDowall)
2. Money, Money, Money (Meryl Streep, Julie Walters & Christine Baranski)
3. Mamma Mia (Meryl Streep)
4. Dancing Queen (Meryl Streep, Julie Walters & Christine Baranski)
5. Our Last Summer (Colin Firth, Pierce Brosnan, Stellan Skarsgard, Amanda Seyfried & Meryl Streep)
6. Lay All Your Love on Me (Dominic Cooper & Amanda Seyfried)
7. Super Trouper (Meryl Streep, Julie Walters & Christine Baranski)
8. Gimme! Gimme! Gimme! (A Man After Midnight) (Amanda Seyfried, Ashley Lilley & Rachel McDowall)
9. The Name of the Game (Amanda Seyfried)
10. Voulez-Vous (Full cast, Philip Michael, Christine Baranski, Julie Walters & Stellan Skarsgard)
11. SOS (Pierce Brosnan & Meryl Streep)
12. Does Your Mother Know (Christine Baranski & Philip Michael)
13. Slipping Through My Fingers (Meryl Streep & Amanda Seyfried)
14. The Winner Takes It All (Meryl Streep)
15. When All is Said and Done (Pierce Brosnan & Meryl Streep)
16. Take a Chance on Me (Julie Walters, Stellan Skarsgard, Colin Firth, Philip Michael & Christine Baranski)
17. I Have a Dream (Amanda Seyfried)
The three women who created the worldwide smash stage hit—global producer Judy Craymer, writer Catherine Johnson and director Phyllida Lloyd—repeat their roles in bringing this joyful, musical story to the big screen. The Mamma Mia! film is produced by Judy Craymer and Gary Goetzman.
An independent, single mother who owns a small hotel on an idyllic Greek island, Donna (Streep) is about to let go of Sophie (Amanda Seyfried), the spirited daughter she's raised alone. For Sophie's wedding, Donna has invited her two lifelong best girlfriends—practical and no-nonsense Rosie (Julie Walters) and wealthy, multi-divorcee Tanya (Christine Baranski)—from her one-time backing band, Donna & the Dynamos. But Sophie has secretly invited three guests of her own.
On a quest to find the identity of her father to walk her down the aisle, she brings back three men from Donna's past to the Mediterranean paradise they visited 20 years earlier. Over 24 chaotic, magical hours, new love will bloom and old romances will be rekindled on this lush island full of possibilities.
Check out the "Gimme, Gimme, Gimme (A Man After Midnight)" Music Video
(Streaming audio and/or video links may expire without notice)