Rhino will release the soundtrack for Juno
, a comedy from Fox Searchlight Pictures directed by Jason Reitman (Thank You for Smoking
) and written by Diablo Cody.
Opening in select theaters December 5, the film's soundtrack mixes classic artists, such as The Kinks
and Mott The Hoople
, with indie faves Sonic Youth
and Cat Power
. The soundtrack is currently available as a download from digital outlets and will be available for purchase in stores January 15.
The 20-song collection includes eight songs by Kimya Dawson
- a featured solo artist as well as member of the groups The Moldy Peaches
and Antsy Pants. Two Dawson-penned instrumentals make their debut on the soundtrack, as well as "So Nice So Smart" from Dawson's 2004 Knock-Knock Who?
and "Loose Lips" and "Tire Swing" from Dawson's Remember I Love You
, which was released last year. The track "Anyone Else But You" was recorded in 2001 by Dawson and Adam Green as The Moldy Peaches. The film's young stars - Ellen Page
and Michael Cera
- appear on the soundtrack as well, performing their own version of "Anyone Else But You." Dawson's other group, Antsy Pants, contributes a pair of tracks to the album, "Vampire" and "Tree Hugger."
An eclectic soundtrack, Juno
opens with "All I Want Is You," by Barry Louis Polisar, renowned among youngsters for his silly ditties. The album also features Buddy Holly
("Dearest"), Cat Power ("Sea Of Love"), Mott The Hoople ("All The Young Dudes"), The Kinks ("A Well Respected Man"), Sonic Youth ("Superstar"), and a pair of songs by Belle & Sebastian
("Piazza, New York Catcher" and "Expectations").Juno
was an official selection at this year's Telluride, Toronto, and London film festivals and received the Best Film award at the Rome International Film Festival. The film stars Ellen Page as Juno, a whip-smart Minnesota teen faced with an unplanned pregnancy from an afternoon with the charmingly unassuming Bleeker (Michael Cera). She and best friend Leah (Olivia Thirlby) find Juno's unborn baby the perfect set of parents in Mark and Vanessa Loring (Jason Bateman
and Jennifer Garner
), an affluent suburban couple longing to adopt their first child. Along with the total support of her parents (JK Simmons
and Allison Janney
conquers her problems head-on, displaying a youthful exuberance both smart and unexpected.
Fox Searchlight Pictures is also launching a contest to find The Ruler of the "Junoverse." Join the "Junoverse" by registering at www.thejunoverse.com
. Points are earned by attending advance screenings of the film, where audience members can receive a limited-edition Juno t-shirt and a frequent viewer card. Additional points can be earned on www.thejunoverse.com
. The winner receives a hometown screening with cast members from the film, plus a Gibson Les Paul Goldtop Guitar, similar to the one featured in the film.
'Juno' Soundtrack Track Listing
1. "All I Want Is You" - Barry Louis Polisar
2. "Rollercoaster" - Juno Film Version - Kimya Dawson
3. "A Well Respected Man" - The Kinks
4. "Dearest" - Buddy Holly
5. "Up The Spout" - Mateo Messina
6. "Tire Swing" - Kimya Dawson
7. "Piazza, New York Catcher" - Belle & Sebastian
8. "Loose Lips" - Kimya Dawson
9. "Superstar" - Sonic Youth
10. "Sleep" - Instrumental - Kimya Dawson
11. "Expectations" - Belle & Sebastian
12. "All The Young Dudes" - Mott The Hoople
13. "So Nice So Smart" - Kimya Dawson
14. "Sea of Love" - Cat Power
15. "Tree Hugger" - Kimya Dawson and Antsy Pants
16. "I'm Sticking With You" - Velvet Underground
17. "Anyone Else but You" - The Moldy Peaches
18. "Vampire" - Antsy Pants
19. "Anyone Else But You" - Ellen Page and Michael Cera