Tonight's TV Highlights: 'Smith,' 'Boston Legal,' 'NCIS,' & More
Leading this close-knit crew of career criminals is Bobby Stevens (Liotta), who appears to be a regular family man with a nine-to-five job, but is actually an expert thief who is seeking just two or three more big paydays so he can finally leave the business for a comfortable, lawful lifestyle with his wife, Hope (Madsen), and their two children. While Bobby never discusses his illegal pursuits, Hope is growing suspicious.
Bobby's second family, his core band of partners, each bring their own areas of expertise to pulling off the biggest and most sophisticated armed robberies. Joe (Franky G) is in charge of all things transportation oriented; Jeff (Baker), who is the most reckless of the bunch, is responsible for the firepower; Tom (Miller), is on parole after being busted during a previous caper and his sometime lover, Annie (Smart), is a beautiful master of disguise who can manipulate any situation with her looks.
The FBI's, Agent Dodd (Bauer), has been following the robberies for some time, and remains determined to catch the team but is most interested in capturing "Smith," the police codename for the crew's mysterious leader and the brains behind the entire operation. It remains to be seen whether Bobby will be able to extricate himself in time from the scores that give him such a rush, or if his retirement will be a forced one -- behind bars.
In the premiere episode, Bobby receives his next job from his superior, Charlie (Shohreh Aghdashloo), which will require his crew to break into the Tanner Museum in Chicago to steal several paintings. While Bobby proceeds with his double life, Hope starts getting suspicious of his supposed career as a salesman at a paper company.
When the team congregates in Chicago, the well-executed robbery is put into motion. Everything is going as planned until shots are fired.
ALSO ON TONIGHT:
* On the second season premiere of The Unit (10 p.m. CBS), the Unit heads to Pakistan on a mission, and a key member of the team stays behind as he prepares to leave Fort Griffith and his Unit family for good. Mack and Tiffy uneasily proceed with plans to leave Unit life behind, and Mack's former team members are out in the field dealing with struggles of their own. After carrying out one mission to intercept a package in Pakistan, the Unit must regroup and focus on executing a second mission in order to stop a plan to spread a deadly disease throughout the western world. Meanwhile, when Tiffy helps a student in need, she realizes the true impact of leaving the Unit. Also on the home front, Kim and Bob welcome a new addition to their family.
* In the third season premiere of Boston Legal (10 p.m. ABC), Denise and Schmidt defend Daniel Post (Michael J. Fox) after he's arrested for trying to buy a lung. Meanwhile, Shore reunites passionately with Marlene (Parker Posey) and defends his pal, Jerry "Hands" Espenson (Christian Clemenson), after he's caught driving in the carpool lane with a life-sized sex doll.
* With Gibbs retired and boat-building in Mexico, the NCIS team must learn to work without him when Ziva is wanted by the FBI after she witnesses a political assassination, on the fourth season premiere of NCIS (8:00-9:00 PM, ET/PT) on CBS. As each team member deals with the absence of Gibbs in their own way, Ziva's past comes back to haunt her when she inadvertently witnesses an assassination of a military attaché by her former Mossad partner. Convinced her father ordered the hit, Ziva seeks refuge at the Israeli Embassy only to find she is wanted by the FBI. As the NCIS team, now headed by Tony, works to prove her innocence, Ziva reaches out to the one person she has always been able to trust.
* A member of the Major Case Squad is kidnapped as Law & Order: Criminal Intent kicks off its sixth season in its new time period (9-10 p.m. ET/PT NBC). "Blind Spot" introduces Eric Bogosian as Captain Danny Ross – who recently headed a successful three-year Joint Task Force on International Money Laundering and was subsequently promoted to the Major Case Squad.
When the body of a former Ambassador's daughter is found brutally murdered in her uptown home, Detectives Goren and Eames question a jealous ex-boyfriend. But when another body shows up with a similar crime scene, Detective Goren's old mentor (guest star John Glover) and his daughter (guest star Martha Plimpton) suddenly return to warn of a past serial killer back on the loose. The search gets personal as a member of the Major Case Squad is kidnapped.
* The emotional season premiere of Law & Order: SVU (10 p.m. NBC) features Olivia Benson (Mariska Hargitay) in a showdown with Star Morrison (Marcia Gay Harden). Hargitay will appear on another episode of the series until she goes underground working in the computer crimes division.
Angelina Jolie Reveals She Underwent Preventative Double Mastectomy Olivia Munn Opens Up About Her 'Magic Mike' Topless Scene In The June/July Esquire