Six weeks after Hurricane Katrina, a parade of Crescent City legends united to celebrate the indomitable spirit and culture of their native city. Scattered around the country, they gathered in Austin as a loose-knit collective dubbed The New Orleans Social Club
. Over the course of seven magical days and nights, they recorded 'Sing Me Back Home
', which will be released April 4 on Burgundy Records/Sony BMG Strategic Marketing Group/Honey Darling Records.
Grammy-nominated producer Leo Sacks
and multiple Grammy-winning producer/engineer Ray Bardani assembled a dream team: Ivan Neville
on organ, Henry Butler
on piano, and two founding members of The Meters
-- Leo Nocentelli
on guitar and George Porter, Jr.
on bass. Rounding out the quintet was the wickedly funky Raymond Weber on drums. George assumed the mantle of musical director and the group was called The New Orleans Social Club. Joining the core band were guests including Irma Thomas
, Marcia Ball
, Dr. John
, Willie Tee
, Troy (Trombone Shorty) Andrews
, John Boutte
A testament to the city's rich musical and cultural heritage, 'Sing Me Back Home' conjures up the sound of the Old Neighborhood.
"We are thrilled to welcome this legendary group of artists to Burgundy Records," says Joe DiMuro, EVP/General Manager, Sony BMG Strategic Marketing Group/Burgundy Records. "This project celebrates the musical heritage of New Orleans, which makes it a uniquely American record. Out of the tragedy of Hurricane Katrina has come an affirmation of life, and hope and healing."
The New Orleans Social Club will make its debut performance tonight at Heineken's "Fais Do Do" party at the Henry Fonda Music Box Theater as part of Grammy week. The group will also make a triumphant return to Austin with a March 18th performance at Town Lake during SXSW.THE NEW ORLEANS SOCIAL CLUB
'SING ME BACK HOME' TRACK LIST:
1. This Is My Country -- Cyril Neville
2. Fortunate Son -- Ivan Neville
3. Look Up -- Irma Thomas & Marcia Ball
4. Walking To New Orleans -- Dr. John
5. Hey Troy, Your Mama's Calling You -- Troy (Trombone Shorty) Andrews
6. Loving You Is On My Mind -- The New Orleans Social Club
7. Somewhere -- Henry Butler
8. 99 1/2 Won't Do -- Mighty Chariots of Fire
9. Make A Better World - the subdudes
10. First Taste of Hurt -- Willie Tee
11. Where Y'at? Medley -- The Sixth Ward All-Star Brass Band Revue Featuring Brother Charles Neville
12. Chase -- Big Chief Monk Boudreaux
13. Why -- John Boutte