Historically, some married in the month of June to honor Juno, the Roman goddess of marriage. Others did it to time conception so births wouldn't interfere with harvest work. Brides in the 15th century chose to marry in June because it coincided with their "annual bath" - you read right - thus ensuring a relatively sweet-smelling honeymoon.
Centuries later, June has remained the most popular month to wed. In MGM's 1954 Academy Award-winning musical, Seven Brides for Seven Brothers
the song "June Bride" trills: "Oh, they say when you marry in June, you're a bride all your life."
Let's examine the following celebrity June brides to see if that old adage holds true in this new millennium...2000
June 2 - Courtney Thorne-Smith
& Andrew Conrad - Not a very auspicious beginning to the list (or the 21st century). This actress (Melrose Place
, According To Jim
) and genetic scientist were kaput by the time InStyle
published their wedding pictures - a scant 7 months later.
Lest you lose faith in love, check out these two couples with staying power:
June 3 - Tina Fey
& Jeff Richmond - Life must be as sweet as it is funny in the home of 30 Rock
creator/star Fey and her intellectual equal, composer Richmond. Not only has her career skyrocketed since their nuptials, they've cemented their love with the arrival of daughter Alice Zenobia, now 2. Everyone together now, "Awwww."
June 9 - Angie Harmon
& Jason Sehorn - This match-made-in-heaven seemed destined to work from the moment the gorgeous Law & Order
actress was proposed to on the "Tonight Show with Jay Leno" by the strapping New York Giant. The two tied the knot in a Texas-sized Dallas wedding and seven years later have two gene-blessed daughters, Finley Faith and Avery Grace.
Eeks - don't throw the rice just yet:
June 11 - Heather Mills
& Paul McCartney
- Sir Paul defied the objections of his children and the scorn of a skeptical nation to get hitched for the second time to controversial personality, activist Heather Mills. You know how this one turned out: After lavishing millions on a wedding and neglecting to sign a prenup (gulp), the vegetarian and the amputee split, setting off one of the ugliest domestic battles in recent history. The divorce was final on March 17, 2008, and the United Kingdom could once again breathe a sigh of relief. Unfortunately, the disastrous union and ensuing war left collateral damage - their 4-year-old daughter Beatrice.
After that buzz kill, it's nice to see a couple reach the five-year mark:
June 7 - Christy Turlington
& Edward Burns
- The fact that supermodel Turlington wasn't interested "did not deter" actor/director Ed Burns (Brothers McMullen
). Five years post-nuptials, the New York City-based couple manages to keep themselves and children Grace and Finn out of the fray. Add a June wedding to a pinch of persistence and a splash of solitude: seems like a recipe for success.
A few years ago, if one had heard that both Anna Faris
) and J-Lo got married the same month of the same year, predictions would lie heavily in favor of the success of the Faris union. What a difference 4 years makes!
June 3 - Anna Faris
& Ben Indra - The love story of these two actors was only one act: They divorced February 19, 2008.
June 5 - Jennifer Lopez
& Marc Anthony
- For once the former fly girl is a victor in love (at press time). Lopez infamously married singer Anthony - her third husband - less than 6 months after ending her high-profile engagement to Ben Affleck
. Despite the initial circumstances, her union with Anthony seems solid - so solid they recently became the parents of twins, Max and Emme. Felicidades!
June 11 - Alicia Silverstone
& Christopher Jarecki - The Beauty Shop
actress is certainly not Clueless
when it comes to wedded bliss. She and neo-punk musician Jarecki took the big step in a waterfront ceremony in Lake Tahoe. Looks like the couple that dines vegan together, starves - I mean stays - together.
June 29 - Jennifer Garner
& Ben Affleck
- The superhero coupling of Daredevil
has not only withstood the forces of evil (and three years) but has resulted in a little Jennifer carbon copy, look-alike daughter Violet Ann (born in 2005).
June 3 - Summer Phoenix
& Casey Affleck
- Ben's baby bro married Joaquin's baby sis and the result is two bambinos and a shared passion for acting, politics, animal rights and veganism, hopefully for the rest of their days.
June 24 - Patricia Arquette
& Thomas Jane
- Too bad the Medium
couldn't use her character's powers of intuition to prevent her hubby's recent DUI arrest. So far, Arquette - who married The Punisher
star and father of daughter Harlow in Venice, Italy - seems to be standing by her man. Stay tuned.
June 24 - Marcia Cross
& Tom Mahoney - Call it The Secret or The Power of Intention, but Marcia (Desperate Housewives
) let the universe - and everyone on it - know she was looking for a husband, even discussing it on shows like "The View." Enter Mahoney, a savvy stockbroker who swept her off her feet and married her in a lavish ceremony fit for a girl who'd dreamt of that day for all of her 44 years. Less than 12 months later, twin baby girls made the family complete. When you wish upon a star...
June 25 - Nicole Kidman
& Keith Urban
- When her marriage to Tom Cruise
dissolved in 2001, Kidman opined that she was still able to "believe in love" and declared that she was "open to anything that will happen." Proving it wasn't merely lip service, Kidman met and married country crooner Keith in a private ceremony in Australia, attended by relatives and close friends. They've hit a rough patch in their short two years as man and wife - Nicole supported her hubby's relapse and return to rehab only 4 months after their marriage - but the outlook is sunny as they anticipate the birth of their first little joey (They're Aussies… Kangaroo babies are joeys... Oh, never mind).
June 6 - Melanie Brown
& Steven Belafonte - The once and current Spice Girl had a big year: A successful concert tour, a baby and a wedding. What made it even bigger were the headlines: Brown gave birth in April. Actor/Comedian Eddie Murphy
initially denied paternity (until DNA proved him the papa). Brown married Belafonte in June (but didn't reveal it until August). A man willing to take the plunge with a woman who has just given birth to another man's baby is either crazy in love or just crazy. Pending diagnosis...
June 8 - Claire Forlani
& Dougray Scott
- A shower of pink and yellow petals rained down on spectators in Plevebovigliana, (try saying that three times fast) Italy when actor Dougray Scott (Ever After
) emerged arm in arm with his stunning June bride, (Meet Joe Black
). A fairy tale wedding with a fairy tale ending? Only time will tell.
June ? - Ellen DeGeneres
& Portia De Rossi
- Though stars are notoriously tight-lipped about the specifics of their wedding plans, Ellen has made it clear that in light of the California Supreme Court's ruling to strike down the state's ban on gay marriage, she is ready, willing and finally able to wed long-time girlfriend DeRossi (Ally McBeal
, Arrested Development
). The when and the where (Ellen recently jokingly asked newly-married First Daughter Jenna Hager if she could marry at the Bush ranch in Crawford) may be fuzzy, but one thing is for sure: Both Ellen and Portia would make lovely June brides.
The truth is, the month you choose to wed has less to do with the probability of success of marriage than those other crucial requirements: Compatibility, dedication and shared values.
...Unless, of course, you only take one bath a year.
Story by Shannon Peace
Starpulse contributing writer