1) The Amazing Spider-Man 2- 40M Weekend, 155M Total
Spidey should drop a little over 50% this weekend. Neighbors is solid competition, but not major competition. Spidey will remain the top draw this weekend.
2) Neighbors- 35M Weekend, 35M Total
Keeping in mind this is an R rated comedy, with Seth Rogen and Zac Efron, 35M is a really solid opening. This isn’t the Hangover, this is Neighbors. Even with strong reviews, and solid previews, I’m betting this film tops out around 35M. Rogen had This Is The End last year which only managed 20M, so this would be a huge improvement upon that.
3) Legends Of Oz- 10M Weekend, 10M Total
Stealthily released on Mother’s Day weekend for Mothers and Daughters to see together, this poorly animated film will benefit from being… really… the only kids film for girls in the marketplace since Frozen. A strong marketing push, matched with reminding people that Lea Michele voices Dorothy, should get girls interested. And their mothers might want to see another Dorothy story, even if they know they’re seeing it more for their kids than themselves.
4) The Other Woman- 9M Weekend, 62M Total
Mothers with older kids will leave them at home and go see The Other Woman this weekend.
5) Heaven Is For Real- 5.5M Weekend, 74M Total
6) Captain America: The Winter Soldier- 4.5M Weekend, 244M Total
7) Rio 2- 4.5M Weekend, 113M Total
8) Moms’ Night Out- 3M Weekend, 3M Total
Releasing in 1,000 screens, at 3M, I’m basically predicting a 3K PSA for a Sarah Drew starring PG comedy, which is a slightly better PSA than Heaven Is For Real had last week.
9) Brick Mansions- 2M Weekend, 19M Total
10) Divergent- 1.3M Weekend, 145M Total