Although this harrowing scene gives us all the action we need out of the episode, it’s the following scenes that really puts the episode over the top in brilliance. Carl lays his head in Michonne’s lap in the car, like a child with his mother. Rick and Daryl have a sweet conversation that leads to Rick declaring his brotherly feelings for Daryl. Later, Michonne explains what happened to her son, Andre, to Carl and why she kept her boyfriend and his friend as pets. She turned into a monster, she tells him. And it took Andrea, Rick, and Carl to turn her into a human again. Carl admits to her that he feels like a monster most of the time. Then they hug. Beautiful.
This foursome is truly a family and it’d be great for the show to continue the focus on just them. I may be alone in that, but I don’t really care about characters outside of their relationships to this core group. I wasn’t even really anxious to see the group that already arrived at Terminus because I was willing to simply follow this group wherever they decide to go.
At Terminus, the survivors who greet them seem normal enough. For about five minutes. However, Rick’s senses are already keenly honed to see that something’s wrong. He notices Glenn’s watch (which was mentioned in the flashback too) on one of the Terminus survivors. After that the group is lead, by purposefully bad gun fire, into a train car. In the train car they see Maggie, Glenn, Sasha, Bob, and Abraham’s group. Everyone is alive and still possessing all their limbs, so we still don’t know exactly why the Terminus gang needs to lure people (okay, duh, it’s for food). But we do know one thing: they’re screwed.
There are some hanging threads from the season that we have to look forward to in season 5. What happened to Beth? Will Carol and Tyrese head to Terminus too? How amazing is the reunion between the Grimes boys and Judith going to be? I’m also left wondering about the men from earlier in the season who told Tyreese that they never should have left Terminus. Were they part of the Terminus group who just got sick of eating human meat or is something else going on here?
Until next season!
- Michonne and Carl don’t know how to properly use the 1 to 10 scale.
- This episode reminded me a little bit of a Jack-centric episode of Lost. There were flashbacks and flashforwards, as well as a less-than-lucid bearded man.
- I love the twack sound effect of Michonne’s sword.
- “Is she dead?” “She’s just gone.” WHY WON’T DARYL TELL THE WHOLE STORY? This is Lost-level idiocy. They have nothing but time. Daryl can take a few seconds to explain that she was kidnapped.
- Rick to Daryl: “You’re my brother.”
- Carl about Rick: “I’m not what he thinks I am. I’m a monster too.”
- Rick buries a bag of guns in the woods just in case. That’ll come into play next season.
- Gareth is the leader of Terminus. He’s got a face worth punching.
- Patrick shows up in the flashback, playing with the toys Rick got for Carl. He just wants his kid to be a kid.
- At first the Terminus snipers look like they’ve got the Storm Trooper curse of being terrible shots. But really they’re using the gun fire to lead Rick’s group where they want them to be.
- “They screwed with the wrong people.” Yep.