‘Gossip Girl’ Wisdom: 50 Ways To Make Your Life Better
Serena (Blake Lively), Blair (Leighton Meester), Nate (Chace Crawford), Chuck (Ed Westwick), Dan (Penn Badgley), Jenny (Taylor Momsen) and a coterie of others had it all. But “all” was more than just clothes, travel via private jet, and elevators that open right into the penthouse. They had a point of view as inspiring as the one from their expansive terraces.
I realized this when recently binge-watching the iconic show that ran from 2007 to 2012. Although I could have done without seasons three and four, I found one, two, five and six rather entertaining. Even though the plots are thin and predictable (the many love triangles, someone always conning someone out of something, and the gang taking matters – that are really none of anyone’s business – into its own hands), the dialogue is snappy and Manhattan’s whining, scheming “Richie Riches” – especially Blair -- offer pearls, even more valuable than the kind you wear around your neck.
Here are the top GG bon mots to make your life better, translated from Upper East Side-ese into everyday-speak. XOXO
1. Too much is just the right amount. –Blair
Go big or go home.
2. They moved the party. – Blair
3. When I need your help, I'll ring the bell. – Blair
Learn to take care of yourself.
4. I had a better life -- until you. – Dan
You don’t know what you’ve got ‘til it’s gone.
5. You look like you just got a trust fund. – Serena
Always put your best foot forward.
6. The only thing thicker than blood is the ink on 'Page Six.' – Eric (Connor Paolo)
Be someone worth talking about.
7. There's not a woman in this room who didn’t take some pleasure in your downfall. – Anne Archibald (Francie Swift)
If you’re not nice to people when things are going well for you, no one will feel bad for you when things go badly.
8. I lost my job, I failed a test, I almost got my best friend's mother arrested. And I'm in Brooklyn talking about it. –Blair
Bad days happen.
9. Fashion shows the world who we are and who we'd like to be. –Blair
Take pride in your appearance.
10. I kissed someone and it was a life-changing experience. – Blair
Don’t settle. Hold out for the right one.
11. She has no time to care. – Dorota (Zuzanna Szadkowski)
Staying busy takes your mind off what ails you (or what would could potentially ail you.)
12. This is real life, not some Hollywood chick flick where a girl with a scrunchie gets a makeover and triumphs in the end. – Epperley (Caitlin FitzGerald)
There are no easy answers.
13. You do realize that I know everybody personally, right? – Blair
Network. The more people you know, the more people there are for you to turn to when you need help.
14. I have to take my future into my own hands. – Blair
Make your own decisions and your own mistakes.
15. They're all good men before something happens to them. Some of them stay good, no matter how they're treated. – Blair
Don’t let one bad apple spoil the bunch for you.