Everyone loves a hero. They stand up for what’s right, battle the forces of evil, and somehow manage to look sexy in spandex. But sometimes one hero isn’t enough. Sometimes the problem is too great for any one man (or Superman) to handle. Sometimes audiences want to hear a dick-joke while justice is being served. That’s where Dynamic Duos come in. Two heroes, paired together, fighting the good fight and keeping us laughing the whole way through. That’s what audiences love more than anything. To honor the release of Sherlock Holmes: Game of Shadows, let’s take a look at the best on-screen crime fighting duos of all-time.
Every pair will need to meet a few criteria in order to make the list.
1. The “duo” must be comprised of two human persons. You could make a case for Superman’s left and right arms as a heroic pair, but for the purposes of this list two actual people are required. Also, no robots will be accepted (This disqualifies Mac and C.H.E.E.S.E for all of you Friends fans out there.).
2. They must fight for truth, justice, and the American way (OK, maybe the last one isn’t a requisite, but you see my point). The characters must live and breathe crime fighting. Or at least fight crime as a way to meet women, which brings us to…
3. At least one of the two must have some semblance of sex appeal. Nobody cares about the streets being kept safe by an ugly duckling. Fighting crime while smoldering is key.
4. The pairing must be hilarious. The whole point of having two heroes instead of just one is so they can goof on one another or make sweet comedy love through the differences in their personalities. This is why the “interracial buddy cop” theme will never die. It has endless comedic potential. Same goes for the “straight-laced cop meets the loose-cannon” theme. More on this in a bit.
5. Proven willingness and ability to kick ass. Everybody loves Law & Order, but if there’s anything those shows are missing, it was some good old fashioned good-guy-on-bad-guy violence. Real justice takes days, weeks, or months to enact. On the screen, crime fighters don’t have that kind of time, so they must dispense justice with the fists, feet, and weapons God gave them. There is no duo on this list which better embodies this crime fighting ideal than…